- Reduce energy consumption by selecting high efficiency appliances. Check with your local utility for available rebates.
- Consider supplementing your heating system to include a thermo pump which lowers your overall energy consumption profile.
- Invest in a quality programmable thermostat that allows you to reduce heating or air conditioning during periods when you are away from your home.
- Improve or upgrade insulation.
- Time to upgrade your windows? Consider high quality thermally insulated windows.
- Switch to high efficiency light bulbs.
- Time to buy a new car? Consider a smaller more efficient model or a hybrid car. Check new government incentive programs for hybrid car purchases.
- Consider biking or walking where you can.
- Consider carpooling to work or joining a carpooling club.
- Reduce your speed. Cutting you speed by just 20 km/h can reduce your consumption by as much as 25%.
- Ensure that your tires are always properly inflated. Improper tire pressure increases friction and diminishes efficiency.
- Use trains rather than planes.
Once you have reduced your emissions consider purchasing offsets to achieve a zero carbon footprint or Zero GHG.